We traveled 1,802 miles over a period of almost seven weeks (it turns out that we were only one day short of seven). During this period, we had thirteen stopovers.
Top Pic: Blooming Lilacs throughout the campground.
Bonus stop. One more night on the road before returning to Bend. We swung a tad out of our way so we could check out the area & lakes along hwy 31 on the way home.
Top Pic: Entrance to Golden Dome cave. Some of the caves (lava tubes) have steps at the entrance, but most don't.
This place has been on our bucket list for some time & we’re glad that we finally arrived. I think I see some lava tube/cave exploring on the horizon.
When ”plan A” didn’t work out, we moved on to ”plan B”. Needless to say, that didn’t play out either. Down the road we found a great dispersed site at Rocky Point West - BLM on Eagle Lake. ”Plan C” rules!
We had a very windy 145 mile drive today and in the process traded Jeffery Pines for sagebrush with great views.
After a month of dry camping in the desert, it's sweet to be back in trees. The campground is tucked in a grove of Jeffrey Pine Trees & is easy walking distance to Mammoth Lakes.
Top Pic: Mount Tom peaking through the clouds.
It was one of those travel days that should have been easy, but... After adjusting plans a couple of times, we ended up at Horton Creek to avoid the storms at higher elevations.
Alabama Hills has been on our Bucket List for some time. We scored a scenic (but perhaps not that level) site just off Movie Road. Over 400 movies have been filmed in this area.
We a have sweet spot in Mesquite Spring campground. Unlike the overcrowded main campgrounds, there are only a few campers here each night.
Top Pic: The Last Supper (1984) by Albert Szukalsk, Goldwell Open Air Museum.
Top Pic: On the self-guided tour the Toiyabe Mountain Range can be seen.
Top Pic: Sunset as seen through a dust storm settling in the valley below us.
We found a great campsite in Water Canyon BLM. The campsites are scattered along the road & creek. We took the first site. Looking up the canyon, only one other RV is in sight.
Our Travel Preferences
We generally like to travel without reservations and prefer public camping opportunities over commercial RV parks. Occasionally we make exceptions — however, not often. We're okay with dry-camping & boondocking, but sometimes hookups are nice. We also enjoy the unique overnight stops that Harvest Hosts has to offer.
These preferences are the foundation for our "Overall Experience" ratings. A "yellow smiley face" doesn't necessarily mean that there's a pool or jacuzzi or whatever, but rather a stopover that we thoroughly enjoyed. While a "yellow neutral face" isn't a bad thing, we just didn't get as excited about the campground as others. We think a "yellow frowny face" speaks for itself.
Random PostsTake me there!
After a dormant phase, we are now actively updating older posts. As time permits, additional info, photos & other new material will be added to the posts.
- May 2018
- April 2018
- October 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Wood River Campground, Idaho
- Scout Mountain Campground, Idaho
- Emigration Campground, Idaho
- Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area (2016)
- Lodgepole Campground, Utah (2016)
- Dinosaur National Monument, CO - UT
- Colorado National Monument, Colorado
- Matterhorn Campground, Colorado
- Rio Grande del Norte National Monument
- Craft Beer on the Enchanted Circle, New Mexico
- June 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- Jessies Grove Winery, California
- Aurora RV Park & Marina, California
- Farewell Toast to Steve Anderson
- Lost Coast, California
- Humboldt County Fairgrounds RV Park, California
- Eel River Brewing Taproom & Grill, California
- Cher-Ae Heights Casino, California
- Jedediah Smith Campground, California
- Craft Breweries in Brookings, Oregon
- Harris Beach State Park, Oregon
- Chanterelle Mushrooms
- Day Trip to Bandon, Oregon, Area
- Blue Whale on the Beach
- Cape Blanco State Park, Oregon – 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
- Downstream Campground, North Dakota
- Geographical Center of North America, Rugby, ND
- Turtle River State Park, North Dakota
- R.I.P. Stalker - Our Traveling Kitty
- Bemidji Brewing Company, MN
- Souvenir from Ashland, WI
- Chippewa Loop, Norway Beach Recreation Area, Minnesota
- Big Picture - Open Road Continues 2015
- Ely, Minnesota
- Canal Park Brewing Company, Duluth, MN
- Lakehead Boat Basin RV Park, Minnesota
- Murals of Ashland, Wisconsin
- Kreher City Park, Wisconsin
- Gibson Lake, Michigan
- Indian Lake State Park, Michigan
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Michigan
- Dundee, Michigan
- Five & 20 Spirits & Brewing, New York
- Robert H. Treman State Park, New York
- Ithaca Beer Company
- Rogers Rock State Park, New York
- Dolly Copp Campground. New Hampshire
- Portland, Maine
- Woodford State Park, Vermont
- Locust Lake State Park, Pennsylvania
- Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
- Peaks of Otter Campground, Virginia
- Lake Powhatan Campground, North Carolina
- Cumberland Mountain State Park, Tennessee
- Meriwether Lewis Campground, Tennessee
- Jeff Busby Campground, Mississippi
- Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Le Fleurs Bluff State Park, Mississippi
- Natchez State Park, Mississippi
- Kincaid Lake Recreation Area, Louisiana
- Wolf Creek Park Campground, Texas
- April 2015
- March 2015
- Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, New Mexico
- Spotted Dog Brewery
- Leasburg Dam State Park, New Mexico
- Rockhound State Park, New Mexico (2015)
- Palomas, Mexico
- Pancho Villa State Park, New Mexico
- St Clair Winery, New Mexico (2015)
- Sideman Jamboree, Bowie, AZ
- Travel Apps
- Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area Campground, Arizona
- SKP Saguaro Co-Op, Arizona
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- Big Picture: New Mexico 2014
- Rose Valley RV Ranch, new mexico
- City of Rocks State Park, New Mexico
- St Clair Winery, New Mexico (2014)
- Roasting Chiles
- Rockhound State Park, New Mexico (2014)
- Mimbres Valley Brewing Company
- Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, New Mexico
- Big Picture: Texas 2014
- Hueco Tanks State Park and Historic Site - Texas
- Davis Mountains State Park, Fort Davis, Texas
- Big Bend Resort & Adventures Campground, Texas
- February 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- February 2013
- November 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012