Top Pic: The Last Supper (1984) by Albert Szukalsk, Goldwell Open Air Museum.
Top Pic: On the self-guided tour the Toiyabe Mountain Range can be seen.
Top Pic: Sunset as seen through a dust storm settling in the valley below us.
We found a great campsite in Water Canyon BLM. The campsites are scattered along the road & creek. We took the first site. Looking up the canyon, only one other RV is in sight.
A rustic campground with a naturally heated pool & showers located in the Virgin Valley within the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge. A great location for exploring & finding fire opals.
We found a gem for our first stop of this trip. A very scenic & well cared for BLM campground located near both the Steens Mountain & Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
"A quick drive up the Coast brought us to this campground we last visited during the fall 2013. Looks like this will a good base for exploring the area before heading home."
"Only an 88 mile drive, but it seemed much longer because of the narrow winding roads. But the reward at the end made it well worth it. Now it's time to explore the area."
We had a short drive up the coast to Beverly Beach. This massive State Park campground is tucked in a dense forest. There's easy beach access via a path under the Hwy 101 bridge.
Top Photo: Stairs to the beach!
"Oh boy, back in our coach and at one of favorite destinations: the Oregon Coast in the fall. First stop is Tillicum Beach Campground."
We love when friends come to town for a visit and have been fortunate that we had so many in our first year. It seems that we never get tired of acting as tour guides showing off our new home base. With so many festivals and outdoor activities in the area, there is never a shortage of things to do o...
Top Photo: Brokern Top peaking through.
Kayaking Sparks Lake
For several years we wanted to kayak Sparks Lake but arrived in the Bend area in late summer, and by then the lake was too low. Now based in the area we have to opportunity for an earlier start this year. So finally we got to spe...
In keeping with our "river" theme on this mini road trip, we drove 160 crazy Memorial Day miles to get where the Deschutes River empties into the Columbia River. Once again, the RV gods were good to us as we scored a site backing up to the Deschutes.
Our Travel Preferences
We generally like to travel without reservations and prefer public camping opportunities over commercial RV parks. Occasionally we make exceptions — however, not often. We're okay with dry-camping & boondocking, but sometimes hookups are nice. We also enjoy the unique overnight stops that Harvest Hosts has to offer.
These preferences are the foundation for our "Overall Experience" ratings. A "yellow smiley face" doesn't necessarily mean that there's a pool or jacuzzi or whatever, but rather a stopover that we thoroughly enjoyed. While a "yellow neutral face" isn't a bad thing, we just didn't get as excited about the campground as others. We think a "yellow frowny face" speaks for itself.
Random PostsTake me there!
After a dormant phase, we are now actively updating older posts. As time permits, additional info, photos & other new material will be added to the posts.
- October 2017
- August 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- Wood River Campground, Idaho
- Scout Mountain Campground, Idaho
- Emigration Campground, Idaho
- Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area (2016)
- Lodgepole Campground, Utah (2016)
- Dinosaur National Monument, CO - UT
- Colorado National Monument, Colorado
- Matterhorn Campground, Colorado
- Rio Grande del Norte National Monument
- Craft Beer on the Enchanted Circle, New Mexico
- June 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- Jessies Grove Winery, California
- Aurora RV Park & Marina, California
- Farewell Toast to Steve Anderson
- Lost Coast, California
- Humboldt County Fairgrounds RV Park, California
- Eel River Brewing Taproom & Grill, California
- Cher-Ae Heights Casino, California
- Jedediah Smith Campground, California
- Craft Breweries in Brookings, Oregon
- Harris Beach State Park, Oregon
- Chanterelle Mushrooms
- Day Trip to Bandon, Oregon, Area
- Blue Whale on the Beach
- Cape Blanco State Park, Oregon – 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
- Downstream Campground, North Dakota
- Geographical Center of North America, Rugby, ND
- R.I.P. Stalker - Our Traveling Kitty
- Turtle River State Park, North Dakota
- Bemidji Brewing Company, MN
- Souvenir from Ashland, WI
- Big Picture - Open Road Continues 2015
- Chippewa Loop, Norway Beach Recreation Area, Minnesota
- Ely, Minnesota
- Canal Park Brewing Company, Duluth, MN
- Lakehead Boat Basin RV Park, Minnesota
- Murals of Ashland, Wisconsin
- Kreher City Park, Wisconsin
- Gibson Lake, Michigan
- Indian Lake State Park, Michigan
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Michigan
- Dundee, Michigan
- Five & 20 Spirits & Brewing, New York
- Robert H. Treman State Park, New York
- Ithaca Beer Company
- Rogers Rock State Park, New York
- Dolly Copp Campground. New Hampshire
- Portland, Maine
- Woodford State Park, Vermont
- Locust Lake State Park, Pennsylvania
- Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
- Peaks of Otter Campground, Virginia
- Lake Powhatan Campground, North Carolina
- Cumberland Mountain State Park, Tennessee
- Meriwether Lewis Campground, Tennessee
- Jeff Busby Campground, Mississippi
- Vicksburg, Mississippi
- Le Fleurs Bluff State Park, Mississippi
- Natchez State Park, Mississippi
- Kincaid Lake Recreation Area, Louisiana
- Wolf Creek Park Campground, Texas
- April 2015
- March 2015
- Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, New Mexico
- Spotted Dog Brewery
- Leasburg Dam State Park, New Mexico
- Rockhound State Park, New Mexico (2015)
- Palomas, Mexico
- Pancho Villa State Park, New Mexico
- St Clair Winery, New Mexico (2015)
- Sideman Jamboree, Bowie, AZ
- Travel Apps
- Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area Campground, Arizona
- SKP Saguaro Co-Op, Arizona
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- Big Picture: New Mexico 2014
- Rose Valley RV Ranch, new mexico
- City of Rocks State Park, New Mexico
- St Clair Winery, New Mexico (2014)
- Roasting Chiles
- Mimbres Valley Brewing Company
- Rockhound State Park, New Mexico (2014)
- Oliver Lee Memorial State Park, New Mexico
- Big Picture: Texas 2014
- Hueco Tanks State Park and Historic Site - Texas
- Davis Mountains State Park, Fort Davis, Texas
- Big Bend Resort & Adventures Campground, Texas
- February 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- February 2013
- November 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012